Sunday, January 8, 2017

Asian Championship Qualifier 2017 PH featuring: Ancient Gears

(Arcknight)  Happy new year RespectYGOers!

It's me, Arcknight and this will be my first 2017 post for January and this is all about what happened on ACQ 2017 and my 21st birthday last January 7th. Well, I'm thinking of things to do on my birthday and I said, why not join one of the grandest Yu-Gi-Oh! Events this time of the year and celebrate it with the whole community?

Asian Championship 2017 Winter Qualifiers Door Prize

This is the first Saturday wherein the new OCG January 2017 Banlist will take effect.  That being said, without further ado, here's a short summary of my tournament report using my very own (drumroll please...) "Ancient Gear" deck!

Clue: I'm the one sitting beside the guy with the black hat on the far left of this picture. Credits to YGO PH



Players: 170
Date: January 7, 2017, Philippines
Seven Rounds

Round 1: Ancient Gear Vs. Metalfoes

Ancient Gear VS. Metalfoes

----------
Game 1: 
I won the die roll ( I believe) but I play second (reasoning at the end of this blog post so keep reading LOL).

Opponent did his stunts by resolving a Qliphort Tool searching Qilphort Monolith, Metalfoe pendulum searched their theme trap cards then proceeded to set-up using Majispectre Racoon searching a Majispectre monster and ended his turn. It was a breath of fresh air knowing that Majispectre no longer have the now forbidden "Majispectre Unicorn" and we all know how annoying that card is. (Literally).

On my turn, I managed to summon my Ancient Gears via "Geartown" and "Ancient Gear Catapult" then proceeded to OTK him.

Game 2: 
Same goes here. As expected, my opponent doesn't have full knowledge about my cards that's why it is unknown to him what to side and what plays to counter. I did my stunts via Gear-Catapult with "Ancient Gear Fortress" back-up and win.

Result:WIN  1-0


Round 2: Ancient Gear vs. Zoodiac Magicians


Ancient Gear VS. Zoodiac Magicians

--------
Game 1: The advantage of the new "Magicians" in SD31 was just overwhelming.
Game 2: Same Here.

Result: LOSE 1-1

Round 3: Ancient Gear vs. Monarch


Ancient Gear VS. Monarch

-------
Game 1: It's the battle of SDs! Good thing, "Ancient Gears", unlike other decks are not extra deck reliant, my "Ancient Gear Reactor Dragon" and "Ancient Gear Fortress" handles the game and preventing monster effects during battle phase plus, "Ancient Gear Chaos Giant's" piercing damage is comes in handy.

Game 2: Opponent goes first, did some "Monarch" stunts and summon "Vanity's Fiend" to stun me. It really did stun me for some reason as my deck is somewhat special summon heavy. At this point, my only out to this is my main "Torrential Tribute" and to my suprise, I draw, "Forbidden Chalice" which I remember that I added as a last minute tech choice before I submit my decklist due to cancer madness. (You know what I mean). I negate the effect of Vanity and managed to summon Chaos Giant and Reactor dragon.

Result: WIN 2-1

Round 4: Ancient Gears VS. Artifact Harpie


Ancient Gear VS. Artifact Harpies


Game 1: I let my opponent start the turn. He has the new "Harpie's feather storm" that has the ability to negate all monster effects for a turn. I started farming with my "Ancient Gear Wyvern" and proceeded to OTK him.

Game 2. He has "Anti-Spell Fragrance" that slows my plays. Then he manages to summon "Constellar Pleiades". Then suddenly, a wild "Vanity's Emptiness" Appears.

Game 3: I go second as always. He has "Anti-Spell Fragrance" again. To make the story short, I managed to reserve my resources and destroy his Anti Spell with the graveyard effect of "Galaxy Cyclone" then beat him with my colossal gears.

Result: WIN 3-1

Round 5: Ancient Gears VS. Yosenju Kaiju


Ancient Gear VS. Yosenju Kaiju


Game 1: He asked me to go second. After some turns, his deck reveals to be "Yosenju Kaiju" that's why he's dependent on my cards and hist turn, just like my deck. I did the Town/Catapult farm and he activated " Maxx "C" ", proceeded to do my plays and ended with "Ancient Gear Devil" then on his turn, he tribute it using one of his Kaijus like I just gave him free draws. Even though he has the advantage, he has no clear defense on his turn. I was able to OTK him with my "Ancient Gear Chaos Giant" and win!

Game 2: He decided to go first and ended up setting a "Yosenju Kama 2". On my turn, I have "Geartown", "Ancient Gear Catapult", "Ancient Gear Fortress" and "Overload Fusion". I ended up summoning 2 "Ancient Gear Chaos Giant" and attack his face down Yosen, inflicting massive damage using Giant's piercing effect and attacked him directly with the remaining Chaos Giant.

Result: WIN 4-1

Round 6: Ancient Gear vs. Lawnmowing Infernoid Zoodiac


Ancient Gear VS. Lawnmowing Infernoids



----------
Game 1: Lawnmowing's effect and Void Madness are very powerful cards. I can handle "Zoodiac Beast Drancia" as my deck was designed for it but the "Infernoid Swarm" is just too much to handle.
Game 2: I guess I need a better side deck pool like "Artifact Lancea" to stop their plays as I only needed a turn to OTK.

Result: LOSE 4-2

Last Round: Ancient Gear vs. Kozmo Artifact


Ancient Gear VS. Kozmo Artifact

---------
Game 1:
He has the usual "Kozmo" stunts and has the awesome field spell "Kozmotown" which I presume the neighboring city of my "Geartown". My deck has a slight upper hand as if my deck was built to counter the hype of "Kozmo" as most of my monsters has an effect that prevents monsters from activating effects until the end of damage step preventing Kozmos from floating.

After some turns, I managed to summon "Ancient Gear Chaos Giant" to overwhelm his "Kozmo Dark Destroyer" and OTK.

Game 2: I don't have any side deck prepared for a "Kozmo" Match-up and I believe I should really get a play set of "Artifact Lancea" in the near future. He ended up stunning me with "Kozmoll Dark Lady" preventing my "Ancient Gear Devil" from Activating. Good thing, I draw my "Kaiju" and tributed his Kozmo. He has "Maxx C" to lure me out from OTK but I decided to go for my plays and ended up with Reactor dragons, Wyverns, Hound dog and finished it with the burn effect of "Ancient Gear Devil".

Result: WIN 5-2
Standing after 7 Rounds: TOP 33-34 ( I saw the list and noticed that there are two rank 33, I don't know if this is a typo as the rankings are system generated or maybe we are in a tie but still, it is over a total of 170 players. It was fun and I met a lot of new friends and I surely believe that my deck that day was worth noticing in the meta full of "Zoodiac Beasts", "Eidolon Beast" and "Infernoids".)


Playstyle and Tech Choices:

Going second is something that promising "Ancient Gear" players should know in order to maximize their plays. Since most of our game play is to OTK and our cards are the designed to be on this route, the additional draw is a very important part to meet the above conditions. Since we don't care about winning the die roll as normally, opponent will decide to go first, it is necessary for us to include cards that can counter cards that disrupts.

One example would be "Zoodiac Beast Drancia". We all know how disruptive this card is and how easy for Zoodiac to summon this consistently. Hence, I came up with an action plan to included "Forbidden Chalice" to counter any "Eidolon" , "Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon" and "Zoodiac Beast Drancia" that can stand in my way.

Most of the decks found in the top tier Meta never leave their monster card field without having something that has the ability to counter plays. In addition to my "Ancient Gear Fortress", "Forbidden Chalice" is a very good card to counter them. "Book of Moon" comes to mind as well but "Forbidden Chalice" is easier to get on that day.

Decklist:

Congratulations! You made it 'til the end! Here is my "Ancient Gear Deck" that managed to be on top 33rd spot for those who are interested.

Lack of Extra And Side deck options because I don't have them, period. 


Update: Decklist (1/17/2017)

Monsters:13
2 Ancient Gear Reactor Dragon
3 Ancient Gear Wyvern
3 Ancient Gear Hunting Hound
1 Ancient Gear Box
1 Ancient Gear Knight
3 Maxx "C"

Spells:21
3 Geartown
3 Ancient Gear Catapult
3 Ancient Gear Fortress
3 Terraforming
3 Galaxy Cyclone
3 Forbidden Chalice
1 Monster Reborn
1 Overload Fusion
1 Foolish Burial with Belongings

Traps:6
3 Torrential Tribute
3 Cll of the Haunted

Wrapping Up:

They say that in order to stay in the long run, we should know how to adapt well. This is the perfect example that using non-tier decks doesn't necessary mean that you can't keep up with the meta. Yes, the meta is op but there is always something that can counter it. It may not be always our tech and side deck choices but maybe the April 2017 Banlist soon.

Overall, it was a different yet a fun way to celebrate my birthday. I'm looking forward to join big events like this and also get cards that can make my deck better. I hope that you enjoyed reading my blog post today and we hope to bring more exciting news and tournament reports in the future.


Hope you all have a great 2017!



Arcknight

No comments:

Post a Comment